To get muscles in the legs, obviously, you need to exercise e. And although many people do not give priority to the lower limbs, like the buttocks, abdomen, and arms, the legs deserve as much or even more attention than other areas. Above all, because well-trained legs allow us to walk longer, without fatigue or discomfort (such as stiffness).
In addition, according to this study conducted by the University of the Border (Chile), high-intensity interval exercise contributes to the normalization of arterial hypertension, so by performing this type of exercise (in addition to the specifications for the legs) you would be protecting Your cardiovascular system.
Next, we tell you why it is good to strengthen the training of the leg muscles with a weekly routine.
In addition, the legs give strength and stability to the body. Put into practice these exercises that will make you maximize your performance and take pride in the results.
How can we gain weight and volume in the legs?
Before starting the training to grow the muscles in the legs we must be aware of the effort and perseverance that we will need. The legs should grow in volume due to the increase in muscle, not fat.
To get results, first of all, we will need discipline and a diet rich in protein. This is stated in this study of the Las Condes clinic (Chile). This is the key binomial when it comes to exercising on a regular basis. We must be constant and learn to extend the threshold of resistance in terms of physical effort.
Exercises for leg muscles
1. Bar squats
The squats with weight are the exercise par excellence to strengthen the muscles in the legs. In reality, they are ideal for growing muscle in a short time and gain strength. In this exercise, the following muscles are worked: quadriceps, buttocks, femoral, adductors, calves and back.
It is convenient that the weight we work with is gradual to our progress. Otherwise, back and joint injuries may appear. To obtain good results it is advisable to learn how to do the exercise well:
- Separate the feet at the same distance from the shoulders.
- Contracting the abdomen
- Get off with a slight backward movement.
- Do not arch your back.
- Do 3 sets of 15 repetitions and over time increase this amount.
Professional cycling is one of the toughest sports there is. Actually, at first glance, we can observe the great musculature, not of volume but of strength, of these cyclists. Therefore, cycling, in any of its variants, is a perfect method to tone and strengthen the legs.
In addition, with the bicycle not only the lower part of the body is worked. We also reinforce the lumbar, pectoral and shoulders. At the same time, it helps prevent bone lesions, arthritis, improves blood circulation, reduces cholesterol levels and strengthens the heart.
3. Scissor jumps
An option with different variants is the scissors jumps. It consists of jumping with the legs together and opening them in the air at the same time that we slap with the hands above the head. It is a very simple exercise.
- To increase power, endurance and aerobic capacity, weight ankles can be used.
- It is recommended that the load is always progressive. In fact, it is useless to start with weights that can injure us.
- First, do 3 sets of 5 repetitions and increase over time.
4. Specific calves
To wear well-defined calves, we can practice the following exercise:
- Take a dumbbell with a suitable weight for us.
- Separate the legs at the same distance from the shoulders.
- Lift your heels and stand on tiptoe for 25 seconds.
- We can perform 4 sets of 10 repetitions, and increase the weight of the dumbbells.
- Moderate calf pain will indicate that we are doing the exercise well.
A mandatory exercise to strengthen the hips and tone the legs are lunges. Although it seems a simple exercise to the naked eye, it really isn’t. They involve very high energy wear and, if performed incorrectly, carry a certain risk of suffering a joint injury.
The lunges work for several muscle groups at once. However, it is important to train with different variants of exercise to be able to work different parts of the body and obtain true results.
Do 3 repetitions of 10 and then you can increase to improve results.
General aspects to consider
- To start, we must always warm the muscles that we are going to work on. This heating should not last less than 10 minutes.
- In order for the muscle to grow, stretching is essential before and after the session.
- The intensity should always be gradual. We must not work above our possibilities. In fact, we can suffer serious injuries with minor oversights.
- Whatever you do, do it well. Take your time, and do not rush to get immediate results. Always consult the gym monitor and, above all, be constant.